Being denied wages that you have earned is not only extremely frustrating and, in many cases, the cause of financial anxiety–it’s also illegal. If you have been denied wages you believe that you are entitled to, including denied full payment for overtime work, you may have an unpaid wages and overtime claim. At the offices of the Sattiraju Law Firm, our unpaid wages and overtime lawyers can assist you as you navigate your claim.
Wage and Overtime Issues We Can Assist With
There are no two wage and overtime claims that look exactly alike. That being said, our Perth Amboy employment law attorneys have experience working on a wage and overtime claims that are founded in a variety of different legal violations. Types of wage and overtime claims we can assist with include:
- Prevailing wage claims;
- Failure to meet minimum wage standards;
- Mandating that employees work off the clock;
- Withholding of employees’ paychecks illegally;
- Failing to properly calculate overtime or pay overtime;
- Employee misclassification to avoid paying payroll taxes;
- Retaliation against employees who make wage and hour complaints or file wage/overtime claims;
- Misclassifying employees to avoid minimum wage requirements;
- Failing to pay employees regular wages for required activities that fall outside the scope of normal work duties, such as weekend trainings.
Remedies for Wage and Overtime Violations
Bringing forth a wage and hour or overtime violations claim can be intimidating, but it may be the only way that you can recover the damages that you’ve suffered. Types of remedies that may be available to you include:
- Back pay in full for the wages that you were wrongfully denied;
- Liquidated damages in an amount equal to the amount of back pay you are owed;
- Attorneys’ fees; and
- Court costs.
Talk to your attorney about compensation that may be available to you based on the details of your case.
How Much Time Do I Have to File a Claim?
If you have been denied wages and overtime pay, the Department of Labor allows you to bring forth a claim for damages within two years--the statute of limitations that generally applies for back pay claims. If the withholding of your wages was a willful violation, then the amount of time that you have to file a claim may be extended to three years.
How Our Lawyers Can Help Perth Amboy Workers With Unpaid Overtime
At the Sattiraju Law Firm, our Perth Amboy unpaid wages and overtime lawyers can help you by investigating your claim, gathering evidence to support your case, speaking with your employer, organizing your claim documents, calculating the value of your losses, representing you in your hearing or at trial, and reviewing your settlement offer. We understand how unfair it is to be denied wages that you have rightfully earned, and we want to help you. Regardless of the reason why you have been denied wages, we want to discuss your case today. Please call our law firm directly or send us a message to request a free consultation.